Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Last Bridge by Teri Coyne

The Last Bridge: A NovelTitle: The Last Bridge

Author: Teri Coyne

Where I Got This Book: Same as always... the public library!

Why I Read This Book: I've heard LOTS of things about it, so wanted to check it out for myself.

Rating: B


This book was....... Crazy? Different? Odd? I'm not even sure what word to use. It was the type of book where you take a step back and ask yourself, "Do these things really happen to people?" because unless you've gone through these same experiences, then it's hard for you to even begin to imagine these things happening to others, and when it does, you can't imagine how they feel.

The Last Bridge is about a girl named Alexandra "Cat" Rucker, who has been on the run from her past for 10 years. She's an alcoholic, who smokes too much, and has a series of meaningless jobs that she keeps getting fired from. Cat has been trying for years to forget her past, but a sudden call from an old neighbor forces Cat to return to the home and family she never intended to see again. Cat's mother is dead, and her elderly father is in the hospital, in a coma. Cat returns to the farm house to find a suicide note that says, "Cat, he isn't who he think he is. Mom xxxooo". Cat doesn't know what to think about this note, and suddenly her world is turned upside down, trying to figure out who "he" is. So, as the funeral comes to and end, Cat is finding out tons of family secrets that she'd never would have known, or guessed before now. Cat is thrown into a taut, gripping and edgy look into the past, present, and future. All she has to do now, is figure out where to go from here.

In the beginning of the book, I found myself kind of bored, and disappointed. I had to really push my way through the beginning. But, once I did, it was MUCH easier for me to read, hard for me to put down, and a book that I would definitely recommend to others to read! It's incredibly sad, but yet very heartwarming, alluring and a few funny parts thrown in. It's a mystery, and a family drama, all put into one.

The reason I gave it a B is mainly just because of the beginning. It didn't grip my attention right away, so I didn't feel it deserved an A. But I would definitely recommend everyone to read it!

New Blog

Hello followers! First, let me say sorry yet again that I have not been very active on my blog site. The reason for that is because I have...