Thursday, December 9, 2010

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Before I DieTitle: Before I Die

Author: Jenny Downham

Where I got it: Library

Why I read it: I read another bloggers review on it, and added it to my TBR List!


Rating: B/C


This book is about a 16 year old girl named Tessa who only has a few months to live. She has made a list of the things she wants to do before she dies, and she's determined to get them all done, no matter what it takes. She wants to have sex, do drugs, fall in love, and experience things only those who live long lives, get to experience.

Tessa falls in love with her neighbor, Adam, and they're both scared to love each other, because they know that she has very limited time. Adam sticks by her side the entire time, not leaving, never wavering, and shows exactly what true love is.

This was an okay book. I felt bad for giving it just a C, because I do want people to read it. But I don't think it deserves a solid B. So, I went with B/C! =-D

What I liked most about it was the actual story line. It was raw, intense, uplifting, yet depressing and sad all at the same time. You found yourself feeling for Tessa, and wondering what it would be like to know you're dying. I personally don't think I'd want to know. It'd be the scariest thing in the world. I wouldn't want to know how much time I had left. I'd rather just live my life not knowing!

It was kind of hard for me to read this book as it got closer to the end. The way that it was being written, and the things that were happening was awful for me. My Grandfather died with all of us surrounding his bed, and it just brought back all of those memories and how awful that was.

What I didn't like about the book was that it was very jumpy, leaving out much needed details. For example, it doesn't really go into great detail on HOW or WHY Tessa fell in love with Adam, or HOW or WHY they're relationship was so special, etc. You would finish one Chapter, start the next, and it would have nothing to do with how the last Chapter ended. I found myself getting confused every time a new Chapter started, and I'd have to go back and see what happened at the end of the previous one. But they never matched up.

Towards the very end of the book, it was like the author got bored of writing, and wanted to end it as quickly as possible. It didn't make sense most of the time, and you wondered what the characters were talking about.

However, it is a decent book. I found myself turning the pages quickly, not wanting to put it down, and wanting to know what happened at the end. I would recommend this book as a book to read if you just want something simple and easy real quick. I wouldn't recommend buying it, but definitely rent it out of your library!

My rating:

1 comment:

TheBookGirl said...

This sounds like the author had a good idea for a story, but just didn't execute it well. Too bad.
I appreciate the honest review.

New Blog

Hello followers! First, let me say sorry yet again that I have not been very active on my blog site. The reason for that is because I have...