Wednesday, January 5, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I StayTitle: If I Stay

Author: Gayle Forman

Where I got this book: Walmart

Why I read it: I saw another review on it from a different blogger and added it to my TBR List.

Rating: A






Blurb from the back of the book:

Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the only decision she has left--the most important decision she'll ever make. 
Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting, and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving. 




When I first started this book, I didn't like it. I thought it was TOO "young adult-ish" for me, and TOO unreal. As I kept reading it, I was feeling that way a little bit more. Then, one day I happened to see on the top corner of the book that it said, "Will appeal to fans of Stephenie Meyer's TWILIGHT"-- USA Today. I didn't agree with it then, and I still don't agree with that.

As I kept reading the book, I was getting more and more into it. As I got to the middle of the book, it was really hard for me to put it down. I kept reading and reading. I'd set the book down to get something to eat, or to use the bathroom, and when I'd pick it back up, I'd say, "Whoa! How did I get this far!?"

I'm not really into the whole make-believe, paranormal type stuff, but this book is amazing. It makes you realize, or think about, "Does this kind of stuff REALLY happen?" Because, we will never know until when, or if, it does. This book has an incredible story line, with incredible characters that you find yourself routing for, and liking a whole lot.

I don't want to say too much about what happens to Mia in the book, because it's a mystery. All I can is that you'll find out the climax/big event right away, in the first chapter of the book. Now, some of you might think that this is too soon, and that the rest of the book would be boring, but that's not the case at all. The rest of the book just makes finding it out so soon that much more enjoyable.

I highly recommend this book to all Young Adult readers. If you haven't read this book yet, definitely read it! It's heart warming, heart breaking, romantic, funny, and amazing all put together. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I don't really have any complaints. I'm not too sure if I like the way the book ended though. I won't tell you what happens, but you'll be sitting there like, "REALLY!?" And it made me wonder if there was going to be a second book. I kept saying  "I sure hope so, because I want to hear what happens next for Mia and her boyfriend and the rest of her friends and family." And, after doing research on Gayle's website, I found out that there IS a second book!! It's called, "Where She Went", and it's going to be released in April!!!

Also, as a side note to those of you who have read this book, and/or will read it.. Did you know that Gayle Forman sold the rights over to a movie producer to make this book into a movie?? How cool is that!? It's the same people who bought the rights to Twilight.

I probably should talk more about the comment I said earlier. This book is not anywhere near the same type of story, or story line as Twilight, but on the romantic aspect of the story, I think that might be the only comparison.

I hope you all go out and get this book and read it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

My Rating:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is at the top of my TBR I can't wait to read it!

New Blog

Hello followers! First, let me say sorry yet again that I have not been very active on my blog site. The reason for that is because I have...