Sunday, July 10, 2011

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

Lock and KeyTitle: Lock and Key

Author: Sarah Dessen

Where I Got It: Borrowed it from my roommate

Why I Read It: I've heard numerous times that Sarah Dessen is a great author

Rating: 3/5 stars


Overview from Barnes and Noble:

"Ruby is used to taking care of herself. But now she's living in a fancy new house with her sister Cora - a sister she hasn't seen in ten years - and her husband Jamie - creator of one of the most popular online networking sites. She's attending private school, wearing new clothes, and for the first time, feels the promise of a future that include college and her family. So why is she so wary? And what is Nate - the adorable and good-hearted boy next door - hiding behind his genial nature? As Ruby starts to see, there's a big difference between being given help, and being able to accept it. And sometimes, in order to save yourself, you've got to reach out to someone else."



This book was an okay book. It wasn't the greatest, but it wasn't horrible at the same time. I think my biggest issue with it is that it started off really slow. And it doesn't go into a whole lot of detail why Ruby and her sister Cora had a bad childhood with their Mother. Don't get me wrong, it does explain it enough for you to understand, but in the same token, I feel like there could have been a little bit more information to make the story better. Does that make sense?

Ruby is the type of plain clothes person, who is happy with what she has. She doesn't expect more from people, and she takes what she can get. She understands that happiness comes from what you have, and you just have to take it as it comes. 

When Ruby is forced to move in with her sister, she had to change all of her beliefs about being happy with what she had, because Cora and Cora's husband Jaime were most "high class" than Ruby was ever use to. Ruby has a hard time dealing with this, and wants nothing more than to go back to taking care of herself. She wants to know who told on her, and who found out that she was the one taking care of herself, instead of her mother. She also wants to know what happened to her Mother. 

Ruby has been hurt so many times throughout her life, that it's hard for her to trust anyone. So, when Cora's neighbor Nate befriends her, she's very cautious and stays clear of him as much as possible.

As the overview states, this book is all about taking a deep breath, and being able to accept the help that's given, rather than saying that you're fine without the help of others. It's also about GIVING help to others, even while you need it yourself. 

As I stated, the book was a good book. Don't get me wrong, but it was just a slow starter. I think that's the main reason I gave it the 3/5 stars. If it would have caught my attention from the very beginning, it would have been at least a 4/5. 

I do recommend this book to those who like Young Adult books and/or Sarah Dessen. It's worth a read if you just want an easy read. It is quite a thick book, but it's a smooth reading book, so you can get through it at a decent pace, once the book starts getting interesting. 

Find Sarah Dessen online: www.sarahdessen.com

My Rating:




No comments:

New Blog

Hello followers! First, let me say sorry yet again that I have not been very active on my blog site. The reason for that is because I have...