Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom

Title: The First Phone Call From Heaven

Author: Mitch Albom

Where I Got It: My favorite grocery store --- Meijer

Why I Read It: I have read his books in the past, and loved them. I read this was also a great read, and of course wanted to check it out myself.

Rating: 5 book marks




The First Phone Call from Heaven tells the story of a small town on Lake Michigan that gets worldwide attention when its citizens start receiving phone calls from the afterlife. Is it the greatest miracle ever or a massive hoax? Sully Harding, a grief-stricken single father, is determined to find out. An allegory about the power of belief—and a page-turner that will touch your soul—Albom's masterful storytelling has never been so moving and unexpected.
Readers of The Five People You Meet in Heaven will recognize the warmth and emotion so redolent of Albom's writing, and those who haven't yet enjoyed the power of his storytelling, will thrill at the discovery of one of the best-loved writers of our time. [[ Blurb from Amazon.com]] 


Honestly, I don't have a lot of complaints about this book. It was amazing. From the first page to the very last, Mitch Albom has you completely sucked in. He starts off by explaining where the book takes place, which is Coldwater, Michigan. For those of you who don't know, I, and Mitch are both from Michigan. Reading a book where it is actually taking place somewhere I know about and/or have been, makes me feel like I can relate to the book even more. Albom then goes into tell us about some of the characters, and that they are receiving calls from their loved ones who have passed away.

How many of us can admit how nice it would be to still receive phone calls from those who have passed on? My Grandmother recently passed (this past January) and reading this book made me want to speak to her. But, that is not a bad thing.

There were parts of this book that gave me goosebumps. I kept wanting more. I kept wanting answers. I wanted to know what was going to happen next. And the best part of the book? I wanted to reach out and hug these characters.

This book will make you laugh. It will make you cry. And it will even make you angry. To me, a book that can make you feel multiple emotions, deserves 5 stars on that alone.

There was really only one thing with the book that irritated me a bit and that I didn't care for. That was that in the book, Coldwater was fictional. While it is a REAL Michigan town, Albom made up parts of the town that doesn't really exist. For example, Coldwater isn't a small town, and in the book, Albom has it as a small town. Also, it is not on Lake Michigan, in fact, it is a few hours away. However, this is just a minor detail and isn't important. In fact, one of the last pages in the book, after the story ends, Albom mentions that he made Coldwater fictional.

Overall, this is probably the best book Albom has written and I would definitely recommend it.


Mitch Albom's Facebook
Website
Twitter: @MitchAlbom

Where to buy:

Amazon
Barnes and Noble



No comments:

New Blog

Hello followers! First, let me say sorry yet again that I have not been very active on my blog site. The reason for that is because I have...