Sunday, January 23, 2011

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and IndonesiaTitle: Eat, Pray, Love

Author: Elizabeth Gilbert

Where I Got It: I bought it from Walmart

Why I Read It: I've been wanting to read it for a very long time, and after hearing such good things about the book AND the movie, I decided to buy it and read it.

My Rating: B



Blurb from the back of the book:

In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was suppose to want -- husband, country home, successful career -- but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence. 


First I must start of by saying how humorous this book was. I found myself literally laughing out loud numerous times through out this book. And, if you know me at all, you know that I love a book that makes me feel emotion as if I'm the one writing it, or who lived it! Out of everything likable in this book, I'd have to say that's my ultimate favorite. 

The only thing that I didn't really enjoy about the book is that I found myself getting bored through out some parts of it. I was getting so bored, that my mind would wander off and think of other things while reading, and by the time I realized this, I'd have to go back a page or two to reread it to understand what was going on. However, this didn't happen a lot, just a few times here or there, and it wasn't enough to ruin the book, or make me hate it. 

I  feel like this book can teach everyone something. It obviously taught Elizabeth a lot as she was traveling from place to place, writing this book and experiencing life in such a different way. The knowledge, advice, suggestions, and thoughts through out this book give us all a feeling of, "Oh, what a great life lesson!" 

For example, I've been going through this "woe is me" stage every now and then and feeling BLAH, and REALLY down about my 7 year relationship that ended a year ago. Even after a year, it still hurts. Well, I was having one of those days and I picked up this book and immediately read this part:

"I thought David was my soul mate."

"He probably was. Your problem is you don't understand what that word means. People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that's holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave. And thank God for it."

By reading this part of the book/story, I was like, "Wow. So everyone really DOES have more than one soul mate." Then it made me think about how much my life has changed since meeting my "soul mate", who has now left, and how in the end, it's the best experience that I, or anyone else can ever have and that it's okay to be hurt/sad/upset, but it's also okay to move on with your life. There WILL be more soul mates! There was one other quote/part of the book that goes hand in hand with this too. I'd like to share it with you also.

"My heart was broken so badly last time that it STILL hurts. Isn't that crazy? To still have a broken heart almost two years after a love story ends?"

This entire book has so many awesome parts/quotes/sections in it with SUCH deep thoughts/meaning, just like the two that I shared with you. And, as I said, a life lesson for me that I learned from reading this: It's okay to love again.

I do think that this book is a must read for all woman. Men would enjoy it too, I'm sure. But because this was written by a woman, and it has the life lessons that every girl needs to learn sometime in their life, I think every woman out there should read this. In fact, I'm going to pass this own to a friend of mine to read, so SHE can learn from this book, then I hope she'll pass it on to someone else. I highly recommend this book to everyone, woman especially. 

When I talk about life lessons, I'm talking about learning that life isn't always bad. I'm talking about that even though Elizabeth was miserable in her life, she had the guts to get up and DO something about it. Not only did she help herself, but along the way she met incredibly, amazing people, who not only changed HER life, but in some way, she changed theirs as well. And I think everyone should know that this actually does happen. 

As I said, I highly recommend this book to everyone, a high focus on woman. I hope that you all go out and read this, if you haven't already. I highly recommend you read the book, before seeing the movie however. I haven't seen the movie yet, but as it goes with all books made into movies, I doubt the movie even comes close to giving the book justice! 

One other positive thing about this book is that at the very end of the book, there are pages of the other books Elizabeth Gilbert as published. One of them is actually a sort of continuance of this book. It tells what happens to her, and some of the people she met along the way. I don't want to say too much, or I'll give out too many spoilers!!! 

I am giving this book a B, only because of the very few less entertaining parts that were through out the book. 

If you've already read this book, PLEASE leave me some comments/feedback on this. I would LOVE to know what you think/thought of it. Or, if you've seen the movie, and not the book, I would LOVE to hear from you as well!! 

My Rating:






2 comments:

TheBookGirl said...

Haven't seen the movie or read ths book...I think if I do read it, I will have Julia Roberts in my head as the narrator and I'm not sure if that's good or bad, lol.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the movie if you see it.

Unknown said...

Hey girl! I left you an award over on my blog. Great post here. I saw the movie. Totally cheated.

New Blog

Hello followers! First, let me say sorry yet again that I have not been very active on my blog site. The reason for that is because I have...