Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Book Review: Ondine by Ebony McKenna

Title: Ondine

Author: Ebony McKenna 

Where I Got It: Ebony found me on the website Book Blogger List and contacted me about a book review.

Why I Read It: A few reasons, actually. Ebony's passion for this book and her writing made me want to read it, and the book sounded like something I would like.

Rating: 3 book marks 


Ondine had the strangest sensation of having had a particularly awful dream. Shambles had become a real man, and a stunningly handsome one at that, but then some force took it all away and he was back to being.... a ferret.

But what if Ondine's dream came true? What if Shambles is the man of her dreams, trapped by a witch's spell? 

Ondine can't get the idea out of her head, or her heart. After all, love is blind, and sometimes it's hiding in the most unexpected of places... [[ Blurb used from the back of the book. ]]




 
Okay, I know what you're thinking. Someone fell in love with their pet? A pet ferret? That was kind of my thought at first too, but really, how many of us have never really thought about that? I remember when I had my dog, I had multiple dreams that she was an actual person in dog form. So really, it isn't all that far fetched to think like that, right? 

First, I have to tell you that I loved Ondine as a character. She was quirky, and upbeat, and awkward all at the same time. The way Ebony wrote her in the book, makes you feel like she isn't JUST a character. Ebony made her feel like a real person to me. As if I was friends with her in real life. 

Also, have you ever wondered what a pet's voice would sound like if they could really talk? For example, my roommate and I think our cat would sound like Eeyore. HA! Well, when I first started reading this book, I was thinking, "What does a Ferret sound like?" I loved how Ebony made up the voice. I can't think of the right word to explain the language... other than, perfect. In my mind, reading the words, I pictured an old man with proper English and then added that to what a ferret looks like. Like I said, perfect. 

Honestly, the only thing I didn't necessarily like is the foot notes through out the book. I don't like having to read a novel and see there is a number and having to look at the bottom of the page to see either an explanation, or sometimes, something that had absolutely nothing to do with the book/story. A lot of them were side thoughts, which I feel like could have either been left out, or just added into the actual pages of the book and not as foot notes. Eventually I just stopped reading the foot notes because they weren't important to the story, and I still understood what was going on. This is the biggest reason that I gave this book 3 stars. When I first started reading it, and saw the foot notes, I felt like I was reading a high school report. However, once I did stop paying attention to that, I enjoyed the book and think it is definitely worth the read. 

Overall, it's a good book and worth the read. Enjoy! 

 
 

No comments:

New Blog

Hello followers! First, let me say sorry yet again that I have not been very active on my blog site. The reason for that is because I have...